Monday 6 August 2012

Manchester Picnic


This weekend I went to the Manchester picnic. It was a street food event, so that you could try food from all over the world. It was at Piccadilly Gardens. There were tables and chairs that were facing a stage that some bands were performing and the venders making a circle around the chairs and tables. The tables and chairs were on the grass with umbrellas to make shade.



Street food is a massive craze in America and is starting to become more popular in the UK. Street food venders usually sell from mobile catering vans or stalls at food markets.

The Manchester picnic had a mixture of food vans and stalls.

My mum, little brother Micah and Me at the Manchester Picnic.

Martin's the bakery had a stall selling yummy cakes. I had a brownie and it tasted wonderful 




We had a look at Wasabi because I wanted to try some sushi but they didn’t have any small boxes left.


We walked around looking at the different stalls and came across Fire and Slice. Fire and Slice is a company that do wood fire pizza. When I went to my first food festival there was a different company offering wood fire pizza and they ran out by the time we got to them so this was a good opportunity to try this style of pizza. We ordered a margarita pizza and was ready less than 2 minutes. It was thinner than even a thin crust pizza and had a slight smokey taste. It may have taken 2 minutes to cook but only took 30 seconds for me and my auntie to eat it!




The pizza stall was next to a Paella stall. The smell was amazing and I really wanted to try it, but it wasn't quite ready.


We carried on walking round and passed a lovely pink camper van with a table of cake displayed outside it. We bought a slice of Missippi Chocolate cake. It was like eating fudge. Chocolate fudge with chocolate truffle on top.




Jerk chicken on a Jamaican food stall they also sold curried goat with rice and peas. The seasoning was really nice but the meat was tough and very fatty. The chicken was the same. It was disappointing as I eat Jamaican food a lot and this was the worst I had tried.


We carried on visiting the stalls. There was a Tibetan food van. I haven't had Tibetan food yet.


The last stall I visited was called The Hungry Gecko. On the counter they had a bottle of hot sweet chilli sauce called Sriracha. Jackie Kearney who runs the van let me try some.  






My auntie tried the fish and chips from Fish&. This is what she said: “I really enjoyed the sea salt and pepper coated fish and the chips were really flavourful without the need for any extra seasoning. The fish was so white and fresh tasting. I would definitely have it again. This was the best fish and chips I have ever had.”






Last stop was Ginger's Comfort Emporium and sampled the salted caramel and peanut butter ice cream. I love peanut butter and that was probably the best ice cream I've ever had!





I visited the Manchester Picnic on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon so I had the chance to try lots of different foods. I really enjoyed it and hope I get the chance to go to another event like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment